I'm appreciative of all the replies, though the discussion has expanded from the "degradation of adhesives" issue (measurable and repeatable, in my world at least) to wound care.

It's important to differentiate between the endless shallow dings and scrapes that come from working an intensively managed 3-acre micro-farm and deeper, more significant wounds.

Deeper wounds (and I've had a few, and managed them very carefully) require the more cautious and intensive measures many have suggested here. Bandaids need not apply; this is the territory of non-stick pads and butterfly strips.

But dings on working hands are cleaned and protected with a bandaid, to prevent the entry of more crud. And then the work continues. I often put a tiny dab of vaseline/polysporin on the pad to protect from dirt entry or water entry from the ongoing handwashing that is a necessary part of the mix. The bandaid has to stay on or it's useless.

I'll try the 3M version suggested here. And I'll check with my father regarding the Band-Aid brand Tough Strips I got him for his Christmas stocking. He (independently) discovered the exact same thing when I lent him an antique Elastoplast from the same stash, and called me to ask if I had any more.