We readily accepted teens, both sexes, into our group and they contributed significantly. Diversity of backgrounds, experience, and knowledge is a good thing. We had climbers and cavers who were PE's (engineers) in the real world, physicians and RNs who responded to operations and were competent deep in the woods, as well as people who were not terrifically strong hikers, but were reliable, dependable, and able to accomplish much. A lot had to do with knowing everyone's capabilities and giving reasonable assignments.

My experience in SAR with groups comprising both sexes was my first experience with the generally superior performance of groups comprising both sexes, especially in situations where problem solving and noel approaches to situations is involved.

Of course, this is not a rigorously scientific experience. I have only data on all male groups and mixed groups. Earlier in life, I tried very hard to acquire data on all female groups, but was unsuccessful (alas!)

There is just something about the atmosphere is a mixed group which leads to productivity and good results - lower testosterone levels???