Originally Posted By: hikermor
Survival schools are sprouting up all over the place, but I would submit that joining a SAR unit, and actively participating, will over time give you unparalleled experience in dealing with rough circumstances.

Hikermor is right as usual. I did a SAR course, but never got around to doing the certification or actually volunteering. I also did some weekend survival classes, and I feel you'll learn so much more from SAR.

I'll also second AKSAR's comment about the quality of people you might meet. I understand that SAR attracts Rambo types periodically, but they soon leave upon discovering that the actual work isn't the sort of fantasy that might uphold their ego. The type of people you might work with is really important. Your friends shape you. Also, it's hard to do something for long unless you've got friends to do it with. Suddenly an emergency happens and you're struggling to remember what to do. (I haven't practiced any of my skills for a long, long time. Hope that won't happen to me.)

If you want to write a book about survival, don't just as questions on the internet. Join your local SAR group, and you'll have stuff to write about after ten years.