although I personally did not have much in the way of damage, the 9 day power outage in 2004 during the multiple hurricanes that came across central Florida, basically led to camping in my detached garage during the afternoon and evening hours...without a generator and portable air conditioner, the inside temperatures did not drop to the low 80s until after midnight...my school building (next to a hospital) regained priority power, and we were in session for about 1/2 the time, so getting proper sleep for a 6 AM wake up was difficult fro a day or so (don't forget a wind up alarm clock

couple of suggestions that worked for me...

battery powered tent fan (later modified to spin a ceiling fan which was used for Irma last year)

solar heated garden sprayer provided hot water and pressure to take a shower immediately when I got home from school... I tested other options after retiring

water bath to heat soup and stews so they could be eaten directly from the can so dish washing was a minimum... tail gate type propane grill rather than a standard camp stove was used to cook perishable hamburger, chicken, and hot dogs using bamboo skewers to cut down on clean up

two 5 day coolers... I pre loaded one with frozen gallon jugs of water, and used the other to get ice from school... I neglected to get the ice prior to Irma... won't happen again (by 2017 I have a 3500W and 2200W generator set... you won't have the prior warning, but storing a couple of frozen jugs in a chest type freezer should help keep perishables cool for a couple of days if you can transfer to a high insulation chest cooler (if you have kids, it will be hard to keep the refrigerator door closed)the frozen meat was still partially frozen by the 4th day...

I used a portable 12v TV with rabbit ears for entertainment,which I ran off a 12v female receptacle and clips for my car battery... along with a AA radio (Eneloop for radio, area LED lanterns, and LED task and head lamp)... I used a couple of kero lanterns in the garage, an old one filled with citronella tiki lamp oil helped with mosquitoes

for Irma last year, the 3 1/2 day outage was a snap... had the generator that provided power to charge batteries and run the internet and TV for 3 or 4 hours each night... as a courtesy to the neighbors I shut it off at 10PM

Edited by LesSnyder (04/01/18 02:44 AM)