Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I am often surprised at how few people carry a power bank of some sort; either for your phone or computer. I have one in my kit for my phone that runs off a single AA battery.

I'm not the least bit surprised.

In my case it never made any sense. My personal electronics stuff runs on power cords either in the house, office or car. A power cord is in my day pack; a power cord is in my vehicle and both are smaller than power banks. The cord is necessary for transferring data so I need to have it regardless of an extra portable power source. If I am truly far enough away from a power source, its because I want to be (i.e. camping) and the electronics are turned OFF. smile

I have an Android phone and until my recent upgrade I always had access to replacement/spare batteries that were a LOT EASIER to carry around than a power bank. I always viewed power banks as Steve Jobs's dead weight crutch since Apple users couldn't access their batteries in the sealed case. I see people carrying around power banks bigger than their phones - to me that is just ludicrous.

I must admit I have a small solar power bank with a single 18650 Li-Ion that I tried out but in the end I simply never used it (It charges out at only the standard USB rate of 0.5A which is way below the requirements of my phone let alone my computer. I also have a battery jump starter that can be used as to charge electronics but it to charges electronics at < 1.0A and isn't pin compatible with my laptop. Admittedly, there are new power banks that out perform what I have but that's just more money to spend for something I probably don't NEED.