So a little on topic and a little off... Mentioning Old Hickory kitchen knives takes me back to my childhood. We had a full set of Old Hickory (not dishwasher safe) knives in the kitchen and they were used and kept very sharp -- a thin 1095 blade can take an excellent edge.

When I was on Amazon recently finding that stainless Damascus blade (AUS10 core up-thread) I looked at the Zwilling EUROLINE Carbon Collection... and while it’s difficult for me to justify spending that on a blade, I was amused by comments regarding the knife rusting. Zwilling’s Euroline were designed by Master Bladesmith Bob Kramer and are made in Seki, Japan using of all things 52100 carbon steel. That is an excellent blade steel but stainless it is not. Those are not knives you can use, abuse and put away wet.

Anyway, the reason I bring it up is that carbon kitchen knives need to develop a (black’ish, dark gray) patina. For any carbon steel kitchen knife I recommend cutting a lot of onions and getting the “juice” all over the blade. Allow the patina to develop, it’s a good thing. $.02

PS: speaking of rust, my OH found a kitchen tool from her past used for tenderizing meat. It looks like a hatchet with multiple dull blades and time has taken its toll -- surface rust, no pitting. Fortunately it comes apart with a wing nut, so I’ll be cleaning it up with a sanding block before finding a better way to store it.

Edited by Russ (02/18/18 03:51 PM)
Edit Reason: Added the PS among other wording issues