Originally Posted By: hikermor

But seriously, what do you gain from an expensive blade that isn't present in a $15 Mora or in any of several Buck knives with well heat treated stainless steel (I have carried and used a Buck 105 since the early 70s and it still works quite well).

The expensive knife gives a lot more prestige than a cheap one and frequently it never looses itīs edge. While a $15 Mora will be considerably less sharp after gutting, dressing and boning a few deer, the expensive knife will still be razor sharp after sitting on a shelf for years (as itīs too expensive to actually take it for hunting).

Originally Posted By: hikermor

I am wondering about obtaining a kukri or similar to go with my vintage Collins machete, strictly to expand my knowledge.

A kukri will definitely expand knowledge. I obtained one made by Cold Steel many years ago and I still have it. It came razor sharp and helped me expand knowledge about knives and provided an opportunity to practice first aid skills too. In conclusion: Once it starts moving it is hard to stop. Do not move any body part in the extrapolated path of the blade. Extrapolated may easily be well within the actual reach.