I haven't tried the UCO. I thought they had gone thru the same reformulation process of the other match brands due to methheads and terrorists. REI website lists mediocre reviews.

Is there a version that works better than others? The strikers seem to be the weakest spot, since they don't work wet.

"broken matches – March 3, 2016
– March 3, 2016
During a snow camping class I tried using these matches to start a fire in place of my stove. The matches broke and were unreliable."

"I used a few matches on my most recent camping trip. I like the container it comes in, and the matches definitely stay lit during rain or wind! The only reason I gave it four stars is because the matches were difficult to light on the containers strike face."

"I have used the UCO Stormproof Match Kit REI sells with no issues but these were a completely different experience. The matches would not light on the striker, matches repeatedly broke and the striker was used up within 1-2 failed match attempts. Very glad I had a pack of 50 cheapie strike anywhere matches to get my stove going. Get a different kit from UCO."

Edited by clearwater (12/20/17 07:13 PM)