What is the ideal emergency food - something that is reasonably nutritious, palatable, stores easily, and can be consumed with no cooking. While food is not required immediately during an emergency, my experience is that I function much better if I am fed. Hydration, of course, is another matter entirely, and is an absolute necessity.

In terms of chow, I have come to prefer various items packaged in a "candy bar" format -sealed packages that are water and air tight. These items can be tucked away at the bottom of a pack or in other odd spots until they are needed, sometimes years later.

Item one - Clif bars - various flavors, 250 (+/- depending on flavor), edible long after best by date but noticeably dry (solved by dipping in hot coffee if needed) - widely available in the US and reasonably cheap

Item two - Tanka Bars - my favorite - mostly buffalo meat (with cranberries) so essentially pemmican, a classic survival food, not widely available, but can be ordered from REI - expensive ($3/bar) -very long lasting (one was quite tasty, none years past its best buy date) - only 70 calories but nearly all protein

RXBar - something I just picked up at the local Trader Joe's -210 calories, reasonably tasty, healthy ingredients although fairly high sodium, no idea as to durability, but looks like a keeper...

There's lots of stuff out there, and I understand a lot of just plain candy is pretty decent (Snickers Bars). What are your faves? Restricted to items that can be consumed right out of the wrapper and that will keep a long time....