My introduction into a survival mindset came during my initial days of flight training. Survival swimming, various dunkers and being pushed off of a boat so that we could be picked up by a helicopter — in other words, having fun. Yeah, it was fun, I was in excellent physical condition and the water was warm.

In the age of GPS & personal locator beacons, survival training is still relevant because you still need to actually survive and keep your body warm & hydrated with your heart still beating until the rescue ranger (or Coast Guard helo) arrives. Technology may take the search out of SAR, but survival is more than just pushing a button and being rescued. This form of instant gratification is pushing a button and then waiting and waiting and... during that waiting part you need to continue breathing, staying warm & hydrated and otherwise not dying — instantaneous is hours to days. But we digress...

It appears that Garmin is dealing with a Delorme inReach design issue that was fixed with the Garmin model of that system. It seems the issue is already fixed.

$.02, FWIW