Originally Posted By: hikermor
I am sure your proposals make sense from a UK perspective. I am dubious that they will all work as well where these fires are actually occurring.

I agree with Hikermor.

Fighting wildland interface fires is not as easy as throwing people and equipment at the fires. This is especially true when the fires are in mountainous and canyon areas, of which many of these areas have limited road access.

Up here, over 2 million acres burned this summer and even with firefighters being flown in from other countries, it was not enough. People need to think that these fires can have multiple flanks that stretch up to 100 miles or more and there is no possible way to have enough people and equipment pre-deployed over this size of area. Even it were possible, a change in wind could easily leave the pre-deployed people and equipment plan useless as the wind can drive a fire in an opposite direction at many miles per minute.

Also the economic cost of providing more pre-deployed people and equipment could cost in the hundreds of millions per fire season and not too many countries, states or provinces can afford these costs, year after year.

John Lubbock