i know my view isnt going to be a popular one since it goes against alot of whats already been said here.

while i do agree with leaving an itinerary,location and such incase the worst does happen.
and bring a cellphone or something incase you need to call someone to save you. (maybe your training exercise will be within distance of a friend or state park etc).

now after taking those precautions heres where my theory of chaos and murphys law comes in.

pack a bag, a b.o.b type bag with what you think youd need but it all has to fit in that one bag only.

then have someone you can trust (brother , father, best buddy etc) randomly take some of your items out while your doing something else and cant witness this.

the reason being is simple,in times of crisis when were on the go at a moments notice things can constantly go wrong.
the other bags you carry rip open, fall off your pack, or are with someone in your party who got seperated from you.

so you take that one bag thats in your trunk or where ever and go in not knowing whats missing, same as if the crap really hit the fan and you didnt have time to check.

but thats why i mentioned the cellphone, itinerary and such incase you did need a bail out.
and for a safety measure take the good sleeping bag and tent with you just incase.

its better to be miserable possibly with out some of your best equipment in an exercise with the thoughts of going home tomorrow or in a day or so as you make due, then to be stuck there for an indetermined amount of time with the same misfortunes.

have fun, come back safe and let us know how it went.