Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
This really is a great topic! In the context of wilderness survival- but really, just living from day to day- physical fitness is so important. I have kind of neglected it a bit lately. Right now I'm about three months into a new Executive Chef job in a new town so I'm working 70 hours a week and haven't found a new gym. So I need to get back in the saddle and return to lifting weights.

There are probably a lot of couch potato preppers with piles of guns, food, etc which which to survive a calamity while ignoring the thing that's even more important to survival- fitness. What good is a year's suppply of food if you drop dead of a heart attack? Or a well stocked 75 pound bugout bag when you can't walk two miles without getting winded?

Fitness, health and a good diet are very important for survival and for managing stress. If you are in good shape and healthy, your chances of surviving just about anything go up, a lot. These things also significantly aid in management of stress in general. It does get more difficult to stay in shape as we get older (but we have the advantage of wisdom, I hope, to help offset) and when you are very busy.