Originally Posted By: clearwater
Don't build in flood plains.
Don't build where there are earthquakes.
Don't build where there are wild fires.
Don't build where there are targets for terrorists.
Don't build near giant caldera's like yellowstone.
Don't build where droughts and heat extremes are common.
Don't build near blizzard country.
Stay away from places where ticks and mosquitos carry disease.
Avoid rural areas where medical care is distant.
Avoid urban areas where crime is high.

And certainly don't pay for other people's mistake to do so.

Well I would build a home or business in most of those locations,provided that the structure was designed for the foreseeable hazards of the area.

Flood plain----yes provided that the structure was elevated above the worst foreseeable flood level.
Earthquake area-----certainly provided that the building exceeded building code requirements for earthquake resistance.
Wild fire risk area-----maybe if of fire resisting construction and with fire fighting equipment to hand.
Terrorist attack risk-----probably unless the risk was IMO extreme, terrorists could strike almost anywhere.
In or near a caldera such as Yellowstone------Avoid as no reliable defence against that sort of thing.
Drought or heatwave risk area-----possibly with proper precautions such as designing for water storage and minimising the need for cooling. However I dislike the heat and prefer cold conditions to hot.
Blizzard risk area----yes with suitable construction to resist wind and snow loading, and off grid heating, cooking and lighting arrangements.
Tick and mosquito risk----probably avoid, defence is harder than it sounds.
Rural areas---fine despite being remote from healthcare etc, learn first aid, keep a stock of medical supplies, seek telephone or radio advice in an emergency.
Urban areas----Avoid, but NOT due to "everyday crime" more a fear that cities could quickly become killing zones in any major TEOTWAWKI situation.

As well as general preps, I would of course keep large stocks of supplies specific to the local risks, fuel, blankets and warm clothing in cold places for example.