Jeanette

NASA has been very conscientious in looking for large meteorites - the kind shown in the Bruce Willis movie Armageddon. There are no space rocks close to Earth that are likely to surprise us in this way .. .real planet killers. Hopefully if one is discovered, there will be enough time to find a way to destroy it i.e. put out a call for real Bruce Willis volunteers :-) This type of scenario is not something that could happen "next week" or "next year". There would be a lot of time before the impact.

Smaller space rocks are a threat. It's just a game of rolling the dice. I studied this in detail about 10-15 years ago. We do not have a good map of all the smaller rocks. I am talking about rocks that are about the size of 50-100% of the length of a football field. These rocks will not destroy Earth, but they could "nuke" a whole city. However, since planet Earth is 70% water, the chances are pretty good they will hit the ocean. That will create a whopping big tidal wave for any country near the impact point. You can bet, though, that the military would try to destroy an approaching space meterorite with rocket - and the chances are probably good for some reduction in risk (not perfect).

So ... really we just worry about the disasters near us.
I thought that Floridians handled Irma really well. I hope that Californians (or Oregonions) will handle the next major quake just as calmly ... although I have some doubts about some people in L.A. :-) Anyway, we can only worry about our own neighborhood.

GEEZER IN CHIEF said ...
"This being the 11th of September, we all realize that trouble can rear its head even in what one would consider to be very safe environments. The best one can do is prepare for life's little glitches, and endeavor to act honorably and appropriately when the bell rings."

Amen to that!

Edited by Pete (09/12/17 02:23 AM)