This brings up a couple of points.

How many of our first responders actually have a radiation detector, and know how to use it? Police, paramedics, fire crews? I doubt that many of these units have a device that can measure radiation. So in the event of an incident with a serious radiation threat, the Gov't would need to bring in special teams. They certainly do have such teams - but i'm not sure there is any system to transfer the info to the public. The result is likely to produce a lot of confusion and fear.

Also, it seems to me that there is a big difference between "external" radiation exposure and "internal" exposure. If someone has some contaminated dirt or dust on their clothes, it should be possible to remove the garments and take a shower. Or just wash off the skin with a bucket of water. But if a person is breathing contaminated dust into their lungs - that seems like a much more serious exposure risk.

As far as the public is concerned, there are some practical problems that are really "unsolved". Not enough info and training for people to know how to deal with the risk.

Pete