Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Thank you for the reply. My experience has been you cannot have enough tape or alcohol prep pads. As I mentioned, I will get more alcohol prep pads.

I don't use alcohol prep pads much; they are good for use on unbroken skin before drawing blood and giving injections. They're also good for quick cleanup of unbroken skin and reusable medical devices. For wound cleaning they're definitely not the best choice, as the alcohol damages good cells and retards the healing process. BZK wipes are what I stock instead.

In addition to analgesics consider OTC meds for allergies, congestion, and digestive issues.

Quote:
I have a 100 count box of 3" x 3" sterile gauze pads. The box is almost full; I don't know how much I have left.

For significant wounds a box of 3x3s will go in a flash. Consider rolled gauze as well.

Quote:
CoFlex? I have two 2" rolls.

I think of one roll as being good for one wound, maybe two. Accordingly my largest home-based kit has quite a bit more

Quote:
I took a class on CPR and first aid. Aside from the CPR, the course on first aid was not useful. I learned more by studying Wilderness & Travel Medicine by Eric A. Weiss, M.D. and practicing what I studied on myself. As for on the field experience I wrapped a sprained ankle, treated first and second-degree burns on myself and a security guard, wounds, bleeding and someone closing the door on my hand at work. For my hand injury, I already knew what to do: cold compress and anti-inflammatory medication (aspirin).

Consider training for trauma. A TCCC-based class for firearms instructors and/or law enforcement personnel will give you more life-saving capability than most first aid classes that I've taken. I've taken TCCC-based classes from several instructors now and I've learned more and better each time.

If you're preparing for longer-term emergencies consider _The Survival Medicine Handbook: A Guide for When Help is Not on the Way_ by the Altons. Be sure to get the Third Edition rather than one of the older ones, there's a lot more content in it. I was privileged to take a class from them on suturing and they're amazing in person.

Also consider the Hesperian books, starting with _Where There Is No Doctor_.

If you can (and I haven't yet) consider a Wilderness First Responder class taught by NOLS or another reputable provider.

Classes that include hands-on practicing of skills are dramatically more useful than lecture-only classes and book learning.