Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
There was a total eclipse when I was a kid in 1979, and the whole school went outside with glasses to watch it. It's forever in my memory.

We're only getting a partial eclipse here this time, and I'm trying to decide what to do with the kiddos. I'll have four on Monday, ages 2,3,4 and 5. 14 year old bacpacboy will be here too. I don't trust them not to take their glasses off. wink Watch the shadows outside or watch the eclipse on tv/computer?

Does anyone know of any cool things activities to do with the kiddos during a partial eclipse?

There's a low tech pinhole projector you can make out of a cereal box. I'm probably going to make one out of a mailing tube to get a bigger projection picture.
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/solar-viewing-projector

This also might be a good time to start lessons on planets, orbits, and the sun. Also, check with the local libraries and they might be having eclipse viewing parties

The last two eclipses I viewed through the eclipse glasses and an arc welding helmet

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane