I recently picked up a Garmin Oregon 600 GPS. It's an older model missing some of the newer bells and whistles I didn't need, but it was on sale. I like that it is designed to use AA NiMH rechargeable batteries, I have lots of those and a way to charge them in the field. It also has a touch screen interface, has Garmin's high-sensitivity receiver and can receive signals from both the U.S. GPS and Russian GLONASS satellites (selectable as either GPS or GPS + GLONASS). It came with a preloaded worldwide basemap so good to go out of the box; Topo or maritime maps can be added.

Overall it's a little smaller than my GPSMAP 60CSx, but it has a slightly larger display. Even though it's the base model, it has a barometric altimeter and 3-axis electronic compass. If you choose, the display can turn off after a period of non-use to save on battery power. I have it set to time out at 1 minute, but may shorten that time after I get more familiar with the interface and the newness goes away. So far I like it.

No, I don't work for Garmin or a distributor.