Originally Posted By: Pete
Adam ... you might want to give some thought ... exactly what level of radiation causes your instrument to jump to a YELLOW condition. When workers at nuclear labs wear a protective device, they are working in a specific location. if something goes wrong, they can.always get tested and go home. The problem for you ... if your monitor goes YELLOW ... should you keep living at your house (with the windows closed), or go to a different location?

Pete

The first yellow light comes at 0.5 micro Sieverts per hour, brief and occasional lighting of the first yellow warning lamp is to be expected at normal background radiation levels.
Prolonged lighting of this first warning would cause for mild concern. If this level was reached outdoors, then I would stay indoors. If such a level was regularly reached indoors then depending on world news I might either shelter in place or seek better shelter.
As a very rough guide, a ordinary house will reduce the radiation dose to about one tenth of that received out in the open.
A deep concrete basement but without any specific radiation protective measures will reduce the dose to about one hundredth of that received outdoors.
A crude but purpose built shelter will reduce the dose to about a thousandth of that received out in the open.

Following the news is as important as monitoring the radiation level.
How many bombs have been used, and where ?
Is the prevailing wind likely to take the fallout towards, me, or away from me ?
Are further attacks likely ?
Is the wind direction forecast to change ?