If you want your .22LR rifle to be quieter than an airgun, you can use this ammo:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/250629...ead-solid-point

What you are doing here, with this "primer-only" ammo, is taking the .22LR down to air rifle power levels. So it adds versatility to your .22LR rifle. And this ammo is quieter than an equivalent air rifle (at least it is when using the .22LR rifles I own and the air rifles I own).

It will not cycle a semi-auto rifle, obviously. So you're dealing with single shot. Same as an air rifle would be. If you have an extremely tight or excessively long .22LR barrel, due to the low power of these rounds, there is always the chance that the bullet will not make it out the muzzle and stay lodged in the barrel. Personally, I only shoot this ammo in my single-shot-break-open .22LR rifle. As part of the loading process you swing the action open (like a double barreled shotgun) and you can immediately see that the barrel is clear of any previous rounds that did not exit the muzzle. I have never had one of these rounds fail to exit the muzzle, but I always check for it none-the-less, just to be safe.