Originally Posted By: Pete

i think the key issue .. is what the authorities tell the residents of Manhatan.

The incident I would describe would be extremely serious but not very widespread, as will be limited to downtown Manhattan. Something similar to 9/11. As for the power outage, I don't think a mass evacuation was ever ordered for one (but please correct me if I'm wrong). I think the autorithes would try to maintain the order by telling people to remain in their homes. On the other hand, the police may try to enforce a curfew, telling people to vacate the streets of certain neighborhoods to facilitate the hunt for the attackers.

In my opinion, NO large US city, and probably no large city in the world, can be evacuated in a short period of time. Few people seem to realize this .. but it's a nasty reality.

I hear you on this. I live in a very urbanized part of Italy, and any major disturbance would result in a terrible mess in my area. Personally, I would prefer to bug in but, if things really call for buggin out,I would try to make it through mountain paths to the border with Switzerland, about 15 miles from my home.

Good luck with your story.

Thank you very much!