My SD Enhanced Permit is honored in WY, MT and ID so I will certainly be taking my CCW (generally an HK P2000 in 9mm), but I may opt for the VP9 or P30S this time. I'm on the fence as to whether to get a heavier caliber sidearm; on the one hand as unlikely as a bear attack is it would be nice to have a bit more gun, but again, given the low odds I also hate to drop $700 on a S&W Model 69 that I will probably never need again.

Bear spray is a given! I will plan on getting bear spray for me and for my brother. He doesn't have a CCW, isn't interested enough in it to bother. In MT it doesn't sound like he would need a permit, they have "Constitutional carry" there. Of course I'd check the laws more carefully before I go but if that's the case I could lend him one of my 9mms just to have something on him. A 9mm is too small for large bears but I do know of cases where charging Grizzlies have been killed by handguns in 9mm! Certainly it would be better than nothing if the bear spray fails.