You are right on with a Swiss Army knife. I would only comment that if you add pliers, you have increased the functionality of the item considerably. Yes, I am a big Leatherman fan...

Knives, multitools, any item or gadget - typically there is a range from total junk to absolute perfection, or at least the appearance thereof, and the consumer can pick and choose where on the price/function scale to select an item. usually there is a "Goldilocks" item where price and value coincide, and it typically is well short of the high end. Sometimes the high end items have features that might be critical for specialized situations, but often the price is high because of "bling" and superficial features. It is not unusual to see knives selling for 30 times the price of a Mora. Do they really offer thirty times the value? I doubt it.

I think back to my grandfather, who was a very successful fisherman, consequently with a lot of fish to fillet. Every session began with a quick sharpening and stropping of the nondescript steel knives he used, followed by quick and adroit work. No problem at all with cheap knives.