I have quite a few knives from Cold Steel. Though ironically, not the SK. But the SK is a good design.

I can certainly tell you that SK5 is a very good steel. I've got couple of them in SK5. It is very strong, and keeps a nice edge. I have never had it chip, bend or break. So you will not be disappointed.

When you said VG1 - you meant VG10? VG10 is an excellent steel, if they make it.

None of these knives from Cold Steel will let you down. They are serious with their strength testing on the blades. I know there are a lot of arguments and tit-for-tat's on other knife forums ... but really ... it's not realistic.

Any knife with a 5-6 inch blade, solid design (no cutouts), and a very good steel will probably serve you well. And to be honest these days, the CS knife I actually use the most is a very small Pendleton. I think the blade is only 2 inch, maybe 2-1/2. But it's very strong. I used it recently to build a whole piece of furniture from bamboo in Brazil. The small blades can be quite handy, and less risk when you are using them as tools. :-)

Cheers,
Pete