I like your list a lot, but I live in California and we don't do hurricanes here, we do earthquakes....

Currently, there is essentially no warning (This may improve in the future and we might have minutes to prep, which actually would be a significant improvement) so I judge it is best to set something like EQ 4 and live accordingly.

Keep the gas tanks at 1/2 full or better. Keep batteries stocked up. Remove mirrors from the ceiling, etc.

I probably need to put more effort into planning for the aftermath - cleanup, reconstruction, and the attendant sordid financial details....

Editnote: I just realized you had prepared an EQ checklist, which I have just hastily read. While seismologists can recognize fore shocks, as well as after shocks, these identifications come after analysis after the fact and therefore are of little practical, immediate value. Predictions are put forth. One recent one was something like: "There is a 15% probability of an m7 event along the southern San Andreas Fault within the next thirty years." Nice to know, but doesn't tell me that i should definitely put on my hardhat today.

The 1994 Northridge quake, for example, had absolutely no prior warning signs that were recognized beforehand - zero, zilch, nada.

Edited by hikermor (03/05/17 05:07 PM)