Originally Posted By: bws48
Good point---the USA has a limit ($10,000) on how much you can carry out. If you take more than that, there are documents you must file. When I visit in Europe there is a $10,000 limit on what you can bring in without a similar paperwork drill.

This is why I suggested having a bank account overseas, so you can wire money into it and have it there when you arrive; also, safer than carrying. I think most countries in Europe will allow non-citizens with a valid passport to open bank accounts, and these accounts can be denominated in dollars, but I am not familiar with the rules in every country. At one time, Swiss Banks were allowing accounts to be opened and funded by mail from the USA, (you did not need to be there personally) but I don't know if this is still possible.

But in a bug out situation, I would do the paperwork and try to take the cash if nothing else were available. Otherwise, I would never get access to the funds at all.

I asked the same question about having a reserve currency in another forum. The solutions came down to two, completely legal, preparatory options .

First: Have an account in an international bank based in a foreign country. It's a little tricky to do as most of the international banks seem to be based in China (out of the frying pan and into the fire). But, having funds independent of where you're fleeing from, and can be accessed from where you're fleeing to, can be a safeguard in case things go seriously pear shaped.

Second: Have an internet based foreign currency account. Still subject to local banking laws, so no defense if the PTB decide to persecute this or that group. But, has the ability to store money in very stable currencies (Norwegian Krones, Swiss Francs, Canadian Dollars), and then wire transfer it to wherever you need. Minimum opening deposit requirement of $5,000 or $10,000 are common.

Lastly, If you're getting, while the getting is good. That is, coming in as an immigrant instead of a refugee, you may just be able to transfer your funds over as a routine matter.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane