You said most of the important things, but I would add money (as much as possible) and credit cards as must haves, then a couple of other small things.

The problem is the restrictions airlines place on carry-on (size, weight, number) when combined with TSA regulations for carry on. Just my insulin, syringes etc. take up quite a bit of my carry on, despite (theoretically) being exempt from the basic carry on regulations (you can never successfully win an argument at the gate). So, what you can carry on is very limited.

Theoretically, you can put more things, and a greater variety of things in checked bags. But these are subject to many mishaps and also there may be customs inspections/restrictions, again, possibly very arbitrary. My rule for checked bags is nothing goes there that I can't do without.

So for me, in the situation you propose, it would be papers, medications, money, credit cards, enough clothing for the weather, my phone, thumb drives with important files and my laptop. All else would have to be left behind. When you land, you start over.

If possible and you have enough time, some things could be shipped (if you have an address overseas) before departure, and, if the circumstances permit it, you might be able to wire funds to a bank account you have established overseas (that can take some time to set up, and would need to be done way in advance).