In my personal situation I'm likely only to leave in two situations:

If it's a personal emergency like a house fire, I can reasonably expect to land somewhere safe and sound pretty quickly. Getting everyone out of the house safely is my number one priority in this scenario. This is the most likely event and the easiest to prepare for, at least in my mind.

Where my mind can start exploding at the possibilities of a serious bug-out, is from some large-scale disaster that makes staying here dangerous. Something like a train derailment, industrial accident, or a problem at the nuke plant are the top three possibilities where I live. This is going to involve a whole lot of people and a potentially a much larger geographical area. This makes contingency planning much harder. (I.e. We live right between two nuke plants, one to the East of us and one to the West. Which one goes?)

Questions like this always get my wheels turning with possible scenarios: Why are you bugging-out? Where are you bugging out to? How do you expect to get to you bug-out location?

Our family has decided that our best strategy is to keep all our supplies at home and store them in such a way that we can easily grab, pack and run if we needed to. Thanks to this thread I'm currently re-working our family bug-out supplies. (More details in the "What did you do today to prepare?" thread here

The reasons we have decided against an off-site storage unit basically come down to three things: cost, putting a priority on bugging-in, and not being able to decide where to store stuff. We face considerable threats from all four cardinal directions and it would be risky to gamble on one. It would really suck if the place our stuff was stashed, or the route to get there, was in the danger zone.

Our bug-out destinations are in varied directions, all with family or family property. So, instead of a rental unit, we're working with those family members to make sure they or the property is well-prepared. It would really suck to get there and it be untenable.

Thanks for a great discussion starter Liea55!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA