Being in western CA, much like northern CA where you call home, carrying a handgun is not an option for me. However, were it an option and I felt the need was real, then I'd carry as a routine, because once you start making exceptions and rationalize not carrying such as, "it's just a 5 minute run to Walmart", that's when you will realize the parking lot at Walmart isn't the safest place. So you carry all the time.

My limited/reduced carry is strictly for the benign environment I'm in now and the limitations I impose on me (I don't go shopping at night). Take the SAK for example; I'd found myself using a Benchmade 710 (awesome 3.9" blade) for utility cutting while out shopping, stuff my SAK Spartan does well with its small blade -- so I traded the 710 for a Spartan. I can add the BM 710 or RSK Mk1 to my pocket easily, but why carry gear that has never been needed in predominantly suburbia, when something more sociably acceptable does the job better. Just because why? Rhetorical Q, but I don't carry a fire kit in SOCAL either; it's all in the truck.

Everybody has their individual carry requirements and it may be situational or simply personal preference; I don't care, why should I judge. That said, the guy who goes hiking with just the gear I carry daily would be irresponsible imo. There are advantages to having a truck or a car with a big trunk, but that advantage does not extend to a hiking path where things can go south very quickly.

$.02, YMMV