Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Radio geek here. I notice radios. I've been known to stop strangers and ask them to let me take a peek at their radios and ask about them. I've never seen a GoTenna in the wild. Since they only work with other GoTennas, it's hard for me to believe that you'd often find people to talk to.

Your best bet in terms of dollars to utility is probably a $30-50 ham radio transceiver, assuming you're a licensed ham. While they are not type-accepted to transmit on FRS/GMRS frequencies, they do work on those frequencies and you can use them that way legally in an emergency. The same is true with maritime VHF frequencies.

Let me be clear, do not transmit with such a radio unless you fully understand what is legal and what is not. A ham radio license will help.

Two questions:
First: If you have a GMRS license, is there any reason you can't legally transmit on the GMRS frequencies with a ham transceiver? Outside of an emergency, that is.

Second: The same question for FRS frequencies. If you limit your power to the 1/2 watt required by FRS rules, can you also transmit on FRS frequencies?

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane