My son lives in an older house, and I make a point to include him in all repairs (not that I'm very good at that myself). There are a LOT of repairs that he's getting to learn. He's at least "normal" when it comes to doing tasks. My daughter, on the other hand, has surpassed me. She's really good at figuring things out. She also likes to learn the traditional ways of doing things. The other day she was "rendering fat". I have no idea what that means, or why you'd want to do it. She grinds her own wheat and cooks everything from scratch. Makes lots of her own clothing (sewing, knitting, crocheting, etc.)

As far as survival in the wilderness, my daughter would do OK I think, but I'd be praying for my son. He's not really the outdoors type, so just hasn't been exposed to things like starting fires, etc. The daughter ... she's always out climbing or hiking or SCUBA'ing. She loves the outdoors and handles herself well there. I don't think this is really a generational thing. I think it's just where their interests lie that makes the difference.

I guess my kids are millennials. Ages 27 and 25. I don't know the year-of-birth brackets for the different generations. I think I'm on the tail end of the boomers myself (born in the mid 50's).