Interesting read at: Millennials lack basic survival skills compared to older generations. Being a member of one of those older generations (boomer) I wondered how many here would agree.
Quote:
...A survey shows millennials are missing out on practical skills such as map reading or fishing, compared to their grandparents’ generation.

More than half of young adults were unable to tie a single knot and 40 per cent had never swum in open water, despite Britain being an island nation. ....
I know that many here make a point of introducing their off-spring and others to camping and relevant skill-sets, but how much of that training is otherwise useful in daily life?

I was raised on a small farm and worked on much larger farms; if you didn't know how to do something, members of the greatest generation or their elders would bring you up to speed in short order. My father was skilled in carpentry, welding, plumbing, wiring a house and he taught knot tying and splicing skills to my cub scout pack; his job involved none of that. The only thing he didn't let me do was welding, although he did turn me loose with his cutting torch once, that was fun. I learned map reading on my own, seemed fairly self explanatory. After I joined the Navy I learned what I had missed and then I learned celestial navigation. But all that was also back when television sets had tubes so things have changed.