What I would like are some mini courses. Basically, pick a single skill, and practice it.

For example, I "know" how to start a fire using a ferro rod. I've read about it. I've watched videos of it. I've done it. But only a few times. And only in perfect conditions. Could I do it if things were wet and windy outside and I was in dire physical condition? I'm afraid not. Maybe, if a miracle occurred, but I wouldn't bet on it. I just need to practice more. A mini course, say maybe 6 hours out in the field practicing, would certainly help out my confidence.

Same thing for knot tying. I tie a lot of knots. It's a hobby. I've got ABOK and several other knot tying books. I've got lots of different cordage to practice with. But honestly, if I don't practice, I start to forget even some of my favorite knots. It's funny - the knots I always remember, and fall back to if I haven't practiced for a while, are the ones I learned in Boy Scouts decades and decades ago. I never seem to forget those. For example, I don't need sliding knots terribly often. But I've learned some really neat ones over the years. Locking loops and all kinds of really functional stuff. But what do I end up remembering and tying when I go on camping trips? The tautline hitch I learned in Boy Scouts. Not that this is a bad knot. I could use a once-every-six months mini course on knots. Probably wouldn't even need a course. Just a group of folks getting together to socialize and tie knots. I'd be more prone to do that regularly than sit at home by myself practicing.

I can't see myself paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars and sitting through a multi-day survival course at my age. I dream about doing that, but realistically, it's out of the picture now. When I go hiking, it's all day hiking now. I don't backpack for days at a time anymore. And when I day hike, I always take plenty of survival gear. I could spend the night out, even in bad weather, relatively comfortably. That doesn't make me an expert. It just makes me someone who is prepared.