A local news/traffic radio station, via their phone app and website, has this week launched an investigative series on Washington, D.C.'s "crumbling infrastructure." This series (especially today's on our vulnerable water supply) and my zip code's Christmas Eve protracted power outage -- the 4th in four months -- has had me once again reviewing what I have done, need to do, and making sure needed gear and supplies are readily accessible. The candle lanterns, for instance, are currently on a shelf, next to a big box of matches.

Water's a tough one. The city would become uninhabitable quickly as I would assume this also has ramifications for the sewer system. Fortunately, I could stay with friends in other nearby jurisdictions, with other water supplies, for some period of time.

http://wtop.com/local/2016/12/major-potomac-spill-cripple-dc-water-supply/slide/1/

Crumbling Capital: Major Potomac spill would cripple DC water supply

WASHINGTON — A train crash. A power plant discharge. An underwater pipeline rupture. An act of terrorism. Any of these could quickly cripple the drinking water supply of the nation’s capital.

And there’s no Plan B.

“We only have about 24 to 48 hours of water supply available should the Potomac River become unavailable to us,” said Tom Jacobus, general manager of the Washington Aqueduct. Operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the aqueduct processes drinking water for the District, Arlington County and the City of Falls Church.