" they put their rescuers at risk trying to save them. In this particular incident, I didn't see it mentioned that rescuers were in danger. But that does happen. It shouldn't." from Haertig's post in the north Rim urine drinking, marathoning thread.....

As a longtime SAR volunteer (1958-1985 (mostly 1970-1985), responding to somewhat more than 450 operations which varied in length from 5 minutes to several months, I feel impelled to respond to this very common sentiment.

Basically, the riskiest behavior a SAR person will expose oneself to is the drive to base camp. There are exceptions since you may well log helicopter time and participate in high angle operations, but SAR overall is a fairly safe and benign enterprise. Even today, most SAR operatives are volunteers and they are there by choice.

The rewards are many and abundant, and the risks are few. Typically, one is operating in terrain they know quite well, they are properly equipped, operating within a team, and within contact of an operations/base camp who track them properly. They have training and are usually properly equipped.

Injuries do happen. I personally did some damage to my ears during a scuba operation. Guess what? My treatment was covered by workman's comp and I recovered completely. I can recall a couple of other injuries to others (sprained ankle, insect bite), similarly minor in nature. I suspect the injury rate is no greater that that incurred by the same population while engaged in recreational activity.

For those who are not volunteering, like NPS rangers assigned to this specialty, rest assured that they are properly compensated. That doesn't hurt a bit.