I carry a never used recovery strap rated at 17,000 lbs. It has closed loops at each end. I understand recovery straps (nylon) will stretch and give a bit while tow straps will not (polypropylene).

Tips for Recovery Strap Use http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Tow_Straps.htm

Before ever using the strap, make sure it is in good condition ( no cuts, frays, or broken stitching.)

Make sure the hardware being used is free of defects and rust. This includes your tow hooks or front hitch and the hardware on the other vehicle. If possible, the recovering vehicle should place the recovery strap to its rear end, which would be the safest place if the strap happens to break.

You may be able to wrap the strap around a hitch, but I would not put it IN the hitch. I have seen a few people who have bent the pin, which then had to be cut out. Getting a tow hook or D-Ring adaptor to go into the hitch is a better idea.

Some older cars actually have tow hooks, but if not you must use your own judgment. Never attach a recovery strap to a vehicles bumpers, axles, suspension, steering rods, or a trailer hitch ball. The attach points must be to a secure place on the vehicles frame. Do not place the recovery strap on another vehicle in a way that it may be cut.

Never, ever, attach a recovery strap to another vehicle with a knot. You should pass one end of the strap through the loop at the other end of the strap to secure it on.

In case the strap may break, lay a tarp or some jackets on top of the recovery strap. When the strap breaks (lets hope for the best, but prepare for the worst), the jackets or tarp will slow the recovery strap down before it hits someone.

To help protect the strap from tears, make sure all logs and large rocks are removed from the recovery path. Everyone should stand clear of the recovery strap when it is in use.

When pulling the vehicle out, drive very slowly. Sudden tugs may lead to damage to either of the vehicles or the strap.

Once the vehicle is safely removed, inspect your recovery strap and hardware and hit the road!

---
This month I added a UCO candle lantern to the car kit to replace the now melted together (3 became 1) ordinary candles and a Quikclot sponge to my EDC pack. As I was testing the UCO candle lantern with reflector and hood, it seems I can get 12 hours out of a candle rated for 9 hours if there is no cross breeze.