Just a bit of perspective from a certifiable geezer - I can now look back on a lifetime marked by fairly consistent efforts to maintain physical fitness and I am very thankful I did so. Particularly when I entered my forties (nearly forty years ago) I started with both structured fitness and regular medical checkups. Neither practice alone would have worked.

About seven years ago, I required a heart valve replacement, required because I had been born with a two flap valve (instead of the usual three) and it simply had worn out. This problem was detected during regular medical exams by my very competent primary care doc. Without that operation, I would be pushing up daisies now. My fairly high level of fitness was a significant factor in surviving the surgery and going forward, still being reasonably active as I approach my 80s.

I typically indulged in cardio, usually running or cycling, with supplemental weight workouts (probably not quite enough) and not nearly enough flex/stretch. I have been able to remain active and this year was able to comfortably complete a fairly rigorous two week stretch of field work (digging and heavy lifting, along with significant walking) on a project that meant a lot to me.

As I look back, I am really thankful that I embraced an active lifestyle some decades ago, and embraced practices that supported that decision. It was easily worth all that sweat. I still work out regularly, though not nearly intensively as I did in past decades.

My advice to all you young 'uns -get out there and hit the trail or whatever works for you but start moving!