The thread about the poor starving Canadian truckers prompts this inquiry about Everyday Vehicular Carry. Compared to pockets and backpacks, one has many more options and weight is relatively insignificant. So, what is always present in your vehicle?

In SoCal, I try to be relatively prepared for earthquakes. My vehicle is parked in the open and therefore also functions as a safe stash for supplies that might be useful in that event. Hence canteens of water, alcohol stoves and fuel, food (especially coffee and tea!), sleeping bag, jumpsuit, spare parka, small flashlight/headlamp,expensive first aid supplies, and day pack with additional water and food. Also a pry bar so I can gain entry into the homestead.

For the vehicle - jumper cables, shovel, saw, hatchet, small wrench set, quart of oil. Not much for spare parts because it is basically computerized......

When travelling, I am usually carrying gear for backpacking, climbing, or field work, so there is additional useful gear including tent, tarps, etc. Heading for snow country, i would include a tow rope

Interestingly enough, my wife has roughly the same gear, arriving at her choices independently. The threat in SoCal isn't weather, so much as it is the dreaded sig alert and jammed, impassable freeways,leading to many happy hours spent in the car....

So, what's in your car?