The expiration date in my SarLink View is 04/2016.

Yes, I decided to open it. I'm certainly am not willing to pay an outrageous $130.00 to send to it someone whom I do not know other than they are "certified" (whatever that means) to "service" my make and model PLB.

The battery in my SarLink is simply two sets of two Panasonic CR14375 (These exact battery cells are available on Amazon.) connected in series and spot-welded with nickle strips at each terminal, then taped together. (Interestingly enough the batteries are dated 02-2020) The wires are then soldered to the tabs, and then entire package is then covered in heat shrink tubing. If one really wants to do a sweet build then by utilizing new Molex connectors 51065-0200 and 50212-8100 one could build a battery pack without having to transfer the current connectors. The "gasket" appears to be silicone and it is not becoming deficient anytime soon.

What I find rather ironic is that the batteries are not soldered to the circuit board. On most electric shavers and toothbrushes the batteries are spot-welded and soldered in place which makes an excellent connection but that is not the case on my life-saving PLB. For my PLB it seems the build engineers decided a friction based connection will suffice. Connectors are simply not as reliable as a soldered joint. And this connection IMHO is more of a deficiency on this make and model PLB than any battery build (certified or amateur).

Edited by ChicagoCraig (12/05/16 03:08 PM)