I've got no experience with pool chlorine for water treatment, sorry!

When I started backpacking and portaging, I used boiling and Coghlan's 2-step water purification tablets. They tasted horrible but they worked. They come in one bottle though, and once it's open all the tabs start to degrade so.....

Now I use a combination of boiling and Katadyn MicroPur tablets or Aqua Tabs. 1 tab = 1 litre. Great for solo or two people, but not for a group. They don't taste great either, but it's only one step and they're packaged individually, so no worries about opening the whole bottle like with the Coghlan's. Easy to store a few here and there through my kits.

I have no experience with them, but I've seen in stores around here, and know a few people who use Aquamira drops or Pristine drops. I believe they are both 2-step systems, using liquid drops instead of tablets. They've been likened to Polar Pure, which I have no experience with either.

I do sometimes use my Katadyn mini filer, but it's a PITA, and freezes in the winter, so it's in my BOB and doesn't get used regularly anymore. A gravity filter in on my wish list!

In case of emergencies, we all have filter straws in our kits too. Easier for the kiddos. No need to a fire or timing. just put the two pieces together and drink.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA