Originally Posted By: MoBOB
BPJ - I do a lot of mortar and pestle mixing/grinding of herbs/spices. I typically look at the ingredients at what I find good and look at the ingredients list. You will see that there are about 10-12 basic herbs/spices that you can make loads of different mixes with.

Try onion and garlic powder, oregano or Italian blend, paprika, I like chipolte or chili powder (they have distinct flavors differences:smoke and heat for chipotle and a little more earthiness and heat for chili powder), ginger, celery seeds, and coriander seeds. Of course black pepper you have ground yourself and coarse sea salt are required. Maybe dried orange peel.

Use a container/method of your choice for storage.
Check out this idea for storage: http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/general-survival/quick-cheap-backpack-spice-kit-ideas-2/

Nothing better than fresh, MoBOB! That's why I carry the little pepper mill. I've got one for sea salt too but usually leave it at home unless I'm planning to cook with fresh foods. Like Montanero, I like taking fresh foods on short trips. There's just nothing better! There's usually more weight involved but the upside is that you eat it! wink

Great link, MoBOB. Thanks!

I am on the hunt for a compact multi-spice container and there were some good suggestions in that link. Right now I'm using little plastic containers I found in the craft section at the dollar store. I've seen some pretty fancy set-ups but I'm think I'm going to land on the weekly med/pill holders. It's a cheap and easy solution.

As for what spices to carry you've hit on my conundrum: SO many options! I decided to go with simple seasonings that I can use as the building blocks to create other things. You've reminded me that I forgot onion. DOH! Thank you! Chipolte and chili powder are two that I use often and debated putting in my kit. I may still.

Mrs. Dash is also a classic. Also considered were those mixes like Cajun, Tex-Mex, Montreal steak spice, roasted garlic and peppers. This summer I also found maple bacon! (Really good but almost too sweet for me.) Manufacturers like Club House and McCormick are always inventing new flavour combinations and most grocery stores around here carry an assortment.

Once upon a time, I had a backpack solely dedicated to camp cooking. The ribbing I took because of it is where my nickname came from. I've come a long way since then but, as you can see, I'm still prone to being indecisive and over-packing. I whip up some pretty good chow though. smirk

Side note: I just bought my daughter her first canteen kit, and my son has now added a little billy pot to canteen kit and frying pan. Teaching them to cook is high on my priority list. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA