Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: ATN
If I leave enough space at the top, should that be enough to counter the freezing effects?

It makes sense that this would work, but I haven't tried it with Nalgenes.

Nalgenes withstand freezing really well, as long as you leave a little room at the top for the expansion of the water. I always have one in my car and have never had a problem with the bottle breaking in the cold. We use this method all the time in the summer too - freezing the bottles at home before heading out for a trek. Drink it as it thaws and it keeps your water colder longer.

Another tip, is to lay the bottle on it's side when freezing, leaving enough room so that the bottle opening is not completely covered with ice. This leaves you space to drink or pour the water before it's completely thawed, without the ice blocking the opening.

In the winter, when I expect the bottle to freeze, I keep it in a metal water bottle and also carry a camp stove to boil & melt it right in the bottle. A wider mouth bottle is easier for melting snow and a secondary cup will allow you to drink the water before the bottle has cooled so you avoid burning your lips or drinking luke-warm water. wink

EDIT: A water bottle cozy is a big help in both temperature extremes as well. Insulation in the winter and condensation control in the summer. It also keeps the bottle quieter. wink

Personally, I keep instant coffee, tea, apple cidar, hot chocolate, instant soup, etc. in the car, along with water, stove/fuel/flame to whip up a hot brew in case we get stuck.

Since I roll with kids, there's always snacks in my car, as well as in my purse, and they got rotated frequently. wink

Edited by bacpacjac (10/16/16 04:53 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA