Originally Posted By: Russ
Hmmm, this is California, traffic slows to a crawl when one dufus runs out of gas. Fortunately, a wildfire evacuation is fairly localized, so traffic issues related to the evacuation are also localized.

If there were a wide-area emergency, there is no "bugging-out" for me unless I'm hours ahead of the first wave of traffic. I've got a very high density urban area to the north, a lot of desert to the east, Mexico to the south and west it is all water. I'm working on assets to go west wink We're set to bug in.

This is much the same where I live. We are boxed in with Pacific Ocean to the west, mountains to the north (with only a 2 lane highway once out of the immediate metro area) South is the Canada/USA border. The only real escape is east but there is only one major freeway with 2 lanes eastbound and another 2 lane eastbound highway that meanders through a stretched out but very populated area.

It would take a very significant and long-term (6 months+) societal ending disaster for us to even consider evacuating and it would probably be by boat, bicycle or on foot. Mind you we are safe from hurricanes, tornadoes, tsunamis and so on. The only natural disaster for us would be a major earthquake that could happen in the next 500 to 1000 years. Thankfully, there are also no potential man made disasters awaiting to happen in our area to worry about.

John Lubbock