We are in the Andes Mtns of S. America, gradually making our way from south to north. We are travelling and living in a Jeep. The experience has been a mixture of fun and hardship. Southern Chile had late-winter weather at the start of September.

I over-estimated my fire making skills. Too many years living in California :-). When we hit Chile, there were late-winter storms. The wind was bitterly freezing, and the air was heavy with moisture. It was REALLY TOUGH to get a fire going in these conditions. I put some firewood and cardboard under a rain tarp for protection. Hahaha .. no chance. The cardboard was 'dry to the touch' but would not burn. The wood would not burn either. They absorbed too much cold moisture.

A few things that did help ...
1. Determination. It took us one hour to get a fire going in the mornings, with much nursing of the flames.

2. Pieces of cotton T-shirt. Work better for fire starting. They burn longer.

3. Cardboard from egg cartons ... also burns quite well.

I know there are Alaskans on this forum. The weather we experienced is probably very similar to the start of Spring in Alaska. Im curious what people do there.

We did not have any fire-starting liquids. But if folks here have homemade recipes .. I am interested.

We have now crossed north in the Desert of Atacama. But the winds are still very cold at night.

Pete

Edited by Pete (10/01/16 09:14 PM)