This is probably getting a little off-topic, but generally speaking I think we spend too much time obsessing over our gear and looking for new tools, gadgets, superior clothing and whatnot in the expectation they will provide some sort of crucial advantage. More often than not though, that entails spending a lot of money for relatively little positive return. It also tends to distract one from the real goal, whether that means accomplishing some particular task or simply having a good time out in the bush. At worst, it might lead to a psychological dependency, a feel of being unable to perform without "proper" gear.

Maybe it's just my observation but I've noticed that many people these days worry a lot about the supposed limitations of their gear instead of trying actively to develop useful skills or solutions to overcome those limitations, whether real or imagined. The current discussion is a small case in point. One might focus ad nauseam on the weaknesses of a poncho in a given situation, but it might be more productive instead to think about how to exploit its strengths so that it could be made to work, and work well, just as it has for many people for a long time. Which does not by any chance mean that there are no other alternatives worth exploring but simply that in many kinds of environment a decent poncho can perform very well despite its low price and old-school approach.

It's a bit like the classic knife debate - for every outdoorsman happily getting by with a $10 Mora you will find someone cringing at the thought of relying on a cheap rat-tail knife which obviously pales in a comparison to a $500 certified custom Ray Mears bushcraft model. Yet at the end of the day, the folks relying on relatively simple tried-and-true gear often accomplish more than those forever in pursuit of the latest tech. IMHO it's ultimately a matter of cultivating a certain mindset.

I will be the first to admit that quality gear does make a difference, but not nearly as much as practical experience, skills and mindset. I have a closet full of outdoor gear and clothing, some of it pretty expensive. But over the years I've found myself reducing the gear I use regularly to a basic minimum not that different from what has worked for the old-timers since the dawn of time. There is the advantage of modern materials to be sure - rubberized ponchos vs. waxed linen fabric or wool, carbon steel knives vs. flint and obsidian, but the basic concepts remain the same and probably always will.

I find that using primarily inexpensive, easily replaced (but still good quality) gear and clothing detracts absolutely nothing from my outdoor experience. One doesn't necessarily need the latest tech and high-end gadgets to enjoy the great outdoors. Others may feel differently - different strokes for different folks. It's all about finding out what works for you. wink