I guess we will have to agree to disagree. smile
I will however respond to a couple of your comments.
Originally Posted By: Tom_L
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
My point is if I have appropriate foul weather gear (a good jacket and pants), I have no need to wear the tarp on my person. And when I rig the tarp as a shelter, I can still wear my jacket for additional warmth and protection, whereas if I rig my poncho as a shelter, I can no longer wear it!
Sure enough, as long as you don't mind the extra bulk and weight of the tarp + rain jacket & pants combo. I generally prefer to travel as light as possible so I try to keep my gear to a minimum.

I also dislike sleeping in any sort of rain gear because I tend to sweat easily (Goretex or no Goretex) and moisture buildup becomes a problem. I usually bring along a sleeping bag or at least a heavy wool blanket whenever I intend to spend the night outdoors. Wearing a rain jacket while tucked in a sleeping bag is not a good idea IME.
Well, if you carry a blanket or sleeping bag, that hardly counts as going "as light as possible", does it? My jacket and pants together weigh less than your blanket.

In any case, I thought we were talking about an emergency night out, not a planned camping trip. I don't recall ever spending a night sleeping in my rain gear inside a sleeping bag!

To each his own. We have some pretty bad brush around here, it's very hard on the gear. No rain jacket I've ever worn in that kind of situation survived reasonably intact for more than a few treks.
I think you underestimate good modern gear. The good stuff will take a great deal of abuse, for a long time.
I'm sure a good hard shell jacket for technical climbing would be a smart choice in many situations. But I simply can't justify that kind of expense for an item of clothing that will get abused in short order. Honestly speaking, a proper climbing jacket costs a lot more than all my regular outdoor gear and clothing that I use on my treks. On the other hand, a good military poncho can be bought for $20, so for reasons of economy alone it's an idea worth considering.
Top line gear is expensive, no doubt about it. I find it worth it.
YMMV - stay strong and enjoy the great outdoors!
Likewise to you! smile