Originally Posted By: ireckon
UPDATE: I had my mini peanut lighter sitting for about 2.5 years with the o-ring I described above. I opened it up, and it lit up like I just put the fuel in there.

Thanks for the update, ireckon. I've started to see peanut lighters around here over the past year. I've wondered about their utility for a non-smoker like me. Refueling seems like more trouble than it's worth when my trusty BICs have been so dependable.

Originally Posted By: Brangdon
Originally Posted By: benjammin
The peanut lighters are great, but I keep losing mine.
Some models can be a bit small and fiddly. Small is great for EDC if you are a non-smoker, but fiddly is hard to use, especially if your hands are cold enough to destroy much of your manual dexterity, and if you can only use your left hand because your right hand got broken by the emergency that got you into this mess.

^^This. I love my mini BICs but most of my campfires happen once old man winter arrives. When it gets really cold and my fingers lose their dexterity, it can be a challenge to work the little things. My old reliables are a regular BIC, my Ronson Jetlite and, if it's really bad weather, storm-proof matches.

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
>
At the moment Poundland in the UK are selling lighters with built in lights (and now they stay on constantly) at 3 for a pound. qjs

I picked up a few cheapo lighters with built-in LEDs a couple of years ago and really liked them. They seemed to work as well as a regular BIC and the LEDs outlasted the fuel even with frequent use. On the downside, they were more fragile than BICs and the fuel seemed to disappear quicker than in a regular BIC. On the flip side though, they were cheaper than BICs and the ones I bought had a clear body so I could see the fuel level and adjust accordingly. The fuel level was also higly adjustable. All that said, when it was time to buy new ones I went back to BICs and Ronson Jetlites.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA