I guess you really need to know the laws. I shudder to think that the stuff I carry every day here in Colorado would land me in prison for a decade or more in some other jurisdiction. New York, Chicago, Washington D.C., New Jersey, California. It's a bit sad that we've ended up like this. It definitely DOES affect where I am willing to travel to. And I always re-familiarize myself with the laws before traveling anywhere, even to places I've known to be OK in the past. Some places I just won't travel too, period. Not for business, not for pleasure. It's just not worth the potential trouble.

I mean, what do you do if you're flying with a legally declared handgun in a legal lockbox in your checked luggage, from friendly place A to friendly place B. But due to weather or mechanical issues, you plane is diverted and forced to land in New Jersey, where you have to deplane, collect your checked luggage, and spend the night. You are so screwed. Might as well just head on over to the prison and check yourself in. It looks like knife laws will get you into similar trouble as well.