Thanks for the explanation. I presume the design is for safety for the user. As try as I might I cannot swing any of my knives open, NYC cops must be talented indeed.

However, I am still mystified - my folders are mostly one handed operation. I really don't get the distinction between a knife that have can be opened with a violent swing or wrist action and a knife that can open simply by using the thumb on a hole or stud. The knife is open in less than a second in either case and ready for a use whether that use is to open a cardboard box or stab someone. To me it is a distinction without a practical difference. Even a push button operated switch blade or balisong knife doesn't open that much faster - or does it.

I guess authorities have to draw a line somewhere but that kind of distinction is lost on me. I can understand laws with a blade length (3" or less) or style (double edged Tanto vs a blunt tip) which can make a knife "less lethal".

Siggghhh, I would welcome back those simpler days of my childhood 48 yrs ago when my Dad gave me my first knife. He treated it as simple tool for the pocket and it never occurred to me that it was a weapon. He was a farmer and carpenter and used his 2 bladed pocketknife all the time. I just followed in his footsteps.